National GreenCare for Troops is a nationwide outreach program sponsored by Project Evergreen that is meant to provide no charge lawn care and landscape services to families of deployed military personnel as well as post 9/11 service-connected wounded/disabled veterans.
These complimentary services are provided to eligible families in need to provide a helping hand to our military at a time they need it most.
Project EverGreen is a national non-profit group that engages individuals, businesses and communities to create a greener, healthier, cooler Earth.
This is done through the creation, renovation and revitalization of yards, parks, recreational playing surfaces and other green spaces that represent the lungs of the community and result in healthier, happier people.
They sponsor GreenCare for Troops. SnowCare for troops and other programs as well. They give to community in many different ways.
Project EverGreen proudly supports the ongoing development and renovation of green spaces in communites across the United States.
1. Children can burn up to 100 calories in one hour of active play and more during athletic competition.
2. Studies have shown that children who are more physically active and have access to athletic green spaces demonstrate higher academic performance in school.
3. Green spaces, athletic fields and playing surfaces are gathering places that create close-knit communities, improve well-being, increase safety and help develop a lifelong connection to green spaces.
4. One tree removes enough carbon dioxide from the air and releases enough oxygen for a family of four to breathe for a day.
5. Green spaces are therapeutic and improve the quality of life as studies illustrate that hospital patients whose rooms overlook landscapes recover faster and require less pain medication than patients without a view of nature.
6. Landscaping around your home can reduce noise by up to 50 percent.
7. A well-maintained landscape can add up to 15 percent to a property's value when selling a home and landscaping can speed the sale up by as much as six weeks.
8. Planting shade trees lowers attic temperatures by as much as 40 degrees and landscaping (plants, shrubs, trees) around a structure reduces air conditioning costs by 50 percent
9. Did you know that properly maintained shrubs, plants and lawns are environmental heroes? Because of their filtering capabilities, plantings prevent soil erosion, filter contaminants from rainwater, and absorb dust and dirt.
10. Eight average-sized front lawns have the cooling effect of 70 tons of air conditioning.
You can learn more about them and follow them on their social medias:
@“GreenCare for Troops.” Project Evergreen, 6 Mar. 2017, projectevergreen.org/about/